Court fee increases

Court fee increases

The Civil Proceedings, Family Proceedings and Upper Tribunal Fees (Amendment) Order 2016 (the Fees Order) has amended Schedule 1 to the Civil Proceedings Fees Order 2008, SI 2008/1053 and Schedule 1 to the Family Proceedings Fees Order 2008, SI 2008/1054 (FPFO, SI 2008/1054), in addition to amendments to Upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) fees.

Court fees that are increasing

For family lawyers, relevant fees changes being set out in the Fees Order are:

The fee to apply for a decree of divorce or nullity under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 or for dissolving, or to nullity a civil partnership (fee 1.2 of FPFO, SI 2008/1054) has increased from £410 to £550

Different fees in relation to civil proceedings, but not in case of an application made under section 3 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997
When do these changes come into effect?

The Fees Order stated that the order comes into force on the next Monday after the day on which the order is made. On the draft order being made available initially, the date on which the Fees Order was made was not stated. Subsequently, it was back-dated to the date of 16 March 2016. That implies that the changes came into effect on Monday, 21 March 2016.

After enquiries being made at the appropriate sources, it was confirmed that the understanding is about the petition fee increase from 21 March 2016. Also, the court staff referred to other family court fees which were not included in the Fees Order. People have been monitoring various developments on this process and any further information as it becomes available is getting into the news.

Click here to find out more about the fees!

What is the background to the increase?

On the court fee increase, the government had issued a consultation. Originally, the proposal was for increasing the petition issue fee from the current level of £410 to £750. After the consultation was over, a decision was made for limiting this increase to £550.

The Fees Order is a kind of Statutory Instrument (SI) called as an ‘affirmative instrument’. This implies that both the Houses of Parliament need to expressly approve the Statutory Instrument. The Parliament’s room for manoeuvre is limited. The Parliament can accept or reject a Statutory Instrument but will not amend it.

Availing a Family Mediation service  can help a person in avoiding the court. People can avail a Family Mediation service in Watford to help them reach an agreement.

How To Help Cope With Court Fee Increases

Lots of people fear the extremely suggestion of Court charge increases. Despite the fact that court charges can be set extremely high in some areas, and also normally they are, there are ways to help you handle them. The greatest reason that many people fear being charged with Court charges is the sensation that the expense of the charge increases will be too much for them to birth.

They believe that when the money increases they will suddenly have a lot more trouble making ends meet. This is not always the case. There are ways to lower the amount of money you will have to pay, even if you are charged with a Court fee.

A good thing about Court fees is that they do not come out of your monthly income. This is something that is usually denied by people when they are charged with court fees. This is because most people do not think that paying court fees will affect their finances so they do not have any worries about it.

However, this is not necessarily true. If you are going to pay court fees, it will cause you to pay more money. Not only that, but when you are charged with a Court fee the fines can add up very quickly.

A great way to help you cope with Court fees is to hire a lawyer. Having a lawyer will give you the peace of mind that you can count on that the lawyer will be doing his or her best to fight the charges against you. There are several things that a lawyer can do to help you reduce the amount that you have to pay.

The first thing that a lawyer can do is to file for an appeal of the charges against you. By doing this you will be able to get the charges thrown out completely. If the charges are upheld, you will be able to pay the full amount anyway.

Another thing that a lawyer can do is file a motion to reduce the amount of money that you have to pay. With the motion to reduce the amount of money you have to pay you will be able to negotiate with the Court. This will result in you having to pay only a percentage of the actual charges.

These are just a few of the things that a lawyer can do to help you cope with Court fees. It is up to you to do your research to find the right lawyer for you. You should look for someone who has experience in your particular case.

Ask for a referral from someone who you trust and who has been using the lawyer for a while. You should make sure that the lawyer that you get a referral from has a good reputation in the community. You can also ask for references so that you can talk to other people who have used the lawyer.

A attorney can be vital when it comes to Court fee increases. You should not hesitate to use them if you find yourself in a circumstance where you need their solutions. Keep in mind that individuals that are paying your Court charges are not your buddies.

Try not to let frustration get the best of you when it comes to Court fee increases. Instead, allow the lawyers that are helping you to make out a case to succeed. After all, they are trying to do the best job that they can for you.

If you have not already used a lawyer to help you cope with Court fee increases, you should take a closer look at them. They are not expensive, and they do have a history of success. Take the time to choose the best lawyer for you.

Contact us today to find out more!